Feb 24, 2013

Busy Busy

This year Lent snuck up on me. I wasn't prepared when Ash Wednesday hit. Okay, I'm still not prepared, but I'm just going with it. This year, I'm leaving Lent up to God. And he's already decided what I'll be giving up for Lent...free time.

I'd prefer to give up something easy, like giving up Facebook or ice cream. But, giving up something easy that doesn't cause sacrifice isn't really giving it up. It's just postponing something that you aren't attached to.

Free time, for me is something that I am greatly attached to. I don't like being scheduled every minute of every day doing stuff for someone else. I like having time to be selfish and self-indulgent. I, of course, never saw it as selfish or self-indulgent behavior. But, this Lent, it's beginning to sink in what real sacrifice is.

Blessed Theresa of Calcutta, pray for me so that I can do God's bidding and work tirelessly as you did for the poor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment